Traveling with Kids: Tips and Tricks for Stress-Free Family Vacations
Recently we travelled to the Canary Islands, Lanzarote for a short family trip. It was a last minute trip which adds to the somewhat stress-induced “getting everything ready”. Now with that being said I thought it would be helpful to give some tips I have a on how to get through the fuss so you can get to paradise.
- Pack snacks. Lots of snacks. And then pack some more snacks. My kids are always hungry, and nothing is worse than a hangry child on a plane trip. Our outbound flight was early in the morning so I packed rolls with jam and cheese similar to what they would have at home as well as lots of fruit and oatbars.
- Consider booking flights that fit around bedtime or naps, especially if you have younger ones. This will mean less of a disruption to their routine and enable them to get through the flight more easily.
- Meet & Greet parking – The costs vary from airport to airport but I do find this service is so helpful in us getting into the airport more quickly and enables us to get our bags checked in a lot more smoothly.
- Embrace the chaos. Let’s face it, traveling with kids is never going to be 100% calm and quiet – especially if your little ones are young and require all of your attention Instead of fighting it, embrace the chaos and do not feel embarrassed that your child is being “Noisy” – I am guilty of this and my husband readily reminds me, kids are kids!
- Bring plenty of entertainment. Whether it’s books, colouring pages, or tablets, make sure you have plenty of entertainment options for your kids. Also don’t forget to pack something for yourself too -I love downloading a film or a show on Netflix and listening to my favorite podcast on spotify.
- Expect the unexpected. No matter how well you plan, something unexpected is bound to happen when you’re traveling with kids. Whether it’s a delayed flight , a toilet emergency, or a tantrum in the middle of a crowded airport, just remember to keep your sense of humor and roll with the punches.
Below are some beautiful images of the Lanzarote island..
Leave a Reply